No products in the cart.
The Pros of Probiotics
The one thing we never want to talk about is our gut and what happens down there! Some of us have no issues with our gut but other are sometimes not as lucky. It can cause great discomfort but there might something to help those that struggle.
When we think about our gut, we think of it just a single component of our digestive system but really, it’s a 100 trillion microorganisms working together to make things happen. One thing that we forget about our gut is not only does it do the heavy lifting of digesting everything we eat but it’s also vital to our health and immune system. If it’s not right, neither are you!
Whether you have issues or not, it is a simple keep things in check and minimize the colds! Make sure you get your daily dose of probiotics in!
What’s a probiotic?
Probiotic is a live bacteria or yeast used to aid in better digestion. When it comes to bacteria, you want this kind – its good bacteria. You might not know it but you’ve always had probiotics. We naturally create probiotics to help our body go through the motions when you eat something. If you are concerned you are not getting enough probiotic, you can add probiotics through different types of foods as well as with a supplement.
Research around probiotics is relatively new. It wasn’t until the mid-1990’s that research was conducted to learn more about this little bacteria. It’s been discovered that they are a key contributor to making digestions of food, without them – there would be trouble. Probiotics are found in almost everything from yogurt to chocolate.
There are two important types of probiotics
- This may be the most common probiotic. It’s the one you’ll find in yogurt and other fermented foods. Different strains can help with diarrhea and may help with people who can’t digest lactose, the sugar in milk. [WebMD]
- You can also find it in some dairy products. It may help ease the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and some other conditions. [WebMD]
But it’s bacteria – won’t it make me sick?
This is one bacteria you’ll want to have. Probiotics are key in moving food through your gut and digestive system. It has been linked to solving issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), infectious diarrhea (caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites) and even antibiotic-related diarrhea.
It very common to think of probiotics to help with gut issues but some research is indicating it’s helping in other parts of the body too! If you have a skin condition such as eczema, allergies or want to improve your oral health or the increase your energy with the production of vitamin B12. You should consider more probiotics!
Is it safe?
Your body naturally builds probiotics within your digestive system and with what foods you consume. If you feel you are little backed up and need more probiotics in your body, there are several ways you can do that. Naturally through different foods is the best way but you can also consult a physician about a probiotic supplement in the correct dosage that you can easily pick up at your local pharmacy.
High Probiotic Foods
If you don’t want to take another supplement pill in the morning, you can look for a few different foods that are high in probiotics.
- Kefir – is very similar to yogurt but is a fermented dairy product that is a combination of milk and fermented kefir grains.
- Cultured Vegetables – this includes products like sauerkraut and Kimchi. These are fermented cabbage or veggies that are high in organic acids and digestive enzymes.
- Coconut Kefir – is made from the fermenting juices of younger coconuts with kefir grains. This is a great option if you need a dairy free option.
- Natto – is a common Japanese dish of fermented soybeans that really bolster an immune system and higher probiotics.
- Yogurt – probably one of the easiest foods to add to your routine. But if you want to get the most out of your yogurt, you will want to find a yogurt that comes from grass fed animals and has not been pasteurized.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – it doesn’t have the greatest of taste but can help with weight loss, blood pressure control and so much more. Probiotics is one of them.
If you aren’t finding a probiotic food that you love, the Avid Gourmet might have a new option for you to try. Welo has created a line of products that are awesome for your body. They have perfected several products – cold pressed drinks, bars and fermented drinks. All packed with probiotics!
A great way to do probiotics!
Their cold pressed drinks contain up 2 billion vegan probiotics that is organic and low in sugar. If you need something on the go, the probiotic bars would be perfect for you. They contain 4 billion live culture and come in several great flavours that won’t make consuming it a chore. Check them out and get more healthy probiotics into your system!